November 30, 2007

The Earthquake

Yesterday there was an earthquake in Barbados. Well it was the aftereffects of one further away but still...we felt the tremors.

It was during our campus outreach time and so Stephanie and I were sitting on a bench in the Garden talking to a girl. (The Garden is behind the science buildings with lots of trees and plants and it's on a slope. A nice place to sit and study or talk.) Part way through the conversation the picnic bench we were sitting on began to jiggle. I was wondering who was shaking their leg but it appeared that no one was. We continued talking. Then the bench really begin to move and we all kind of stood up a little confused. Important fact needs to be interested here. UWI Cavehill is built on a series of caves and in August a cave collapsed under an apartment buildilng on the campus. The girl I was with happened to live in that same apartment complex. She was pretty eager to get to higher ground in case things came tumbling or what not. We walked up the slope and that's where we were hearing the word earthquake thrown around. I asked the 2 girls if Barbados had earthquakes. "No." Interesting.

Apparently the quake was a 7.4 at it's origin and 90 miles under the surface of the earth which is good because no tsunami warnings were issued. Everyone I know is fine. There was also a quake in Trinidad as well. Basically the whole Caribbean felt it, even all the way to Puerto Rico and Venezuela. Kind of exciting. Mix things up a little.

1 comment:

Amy Van-Mod said...

Wow. That's. . . cool. . .mostly just b/c there was no danger :)