November 25, 2007

I am Thankful for my Team

Thanksgiving in the Caribbean was Amazing! I think I ate the best turkey I have ever had in my life!

Our downstairs neighbor, Amit, went to chef school fro 2 years and so we wisely put him in charge of cooking the bird. Let me tell you though, buying a turkey in Barbados is not as easy or cheap as it is in the States. It was well worth it though.

Thursday we took a team holiday so us girls were cooking for the majority of it. It was a leisurely cooking though. We had movies going the whole morning as we cut, peeled, mixed and baked. The end result was amazing! It’s always fun when you have these great memories of wonderful food and then you take a recipe and decide you want to try to replicate it yourself. Some things tasted similar, others were completely new. (They have a different kind of sweet potato here…)

We ate around 5. The whole team was there plus Amit and Matthew (a UWI student very involved in our ministry who happened to stop by…). The food was plentiful and we were all stuffed by the end of it. We didn’t end up eating dessert until 10 o’clock that night! After our scrumptious meal and the traditional sharing of what we were thankful for we chatted and eventually watched The Elf. By then we had gained a couple more friends who stopped by to lime. Starting of the Christmas season like all true Americans: while the turkey is still settling in the belly!

Though I missed home a lot it was still a wonderful day of food and fellowship. I did manage to Skype my family while they were at the Thomases and so conveniently got to talk to not only my family, but the Thomases, Copenhavers and part of the Stuart clan. In some ways I felt like I was actually there.

No comments: