May 20, 2010

The Story of my Luggage

I want to share with you a crazy story that happened at the airport yesterday morning.

My brother, Matt, and his girlfriend drove me to the airport. I had 2 big pieces of luggage, a box, a small roller carry on and a back pack. I have status on United and so my mom told me that I get 2 bags free and the 3rd is $35.

We pull up to the curb and I decide that curbside check in is the way to go with so much luggage. The guy first looks surprised when I let him know all this luggage is for 1 person. He then proceeds to tell me that we have a problem because the 3rd bag is $100 and one of my bags is 20lbs overweight which will cost another $100. At this point I am in tears because I was not expecting to pay $200 and trying to remember what is packed where and if i could just leave a bag. I decide the first thing to do is get the overweight bag lighter. So I unzip it and start chucking things onto the side walk. 2 Binders. A bottle of Ketchup Manis. My big ESV study Bible.

Another guy at the counter is watching me do this and suddenly ask "Are you a missionary?" Who asks this anymore! Not are you a Christian, but are you a missionary. I say yes and keep searching for stuff to leave.

Another woman walks up who works there and the guy who asked the question begins explaining to her that I'm a missionary and love Jesus and have this luggage problem. She smiles at me and says, "I'll take care of it." I had gotten my bag down to 56lbs and ask if that's close enough or do i need to keep chucking. She tells me to stick everything back in and she'll take care of it. Not really believing I ask if she's sure. Yes. She obviously has some sway. She walks back in the airport to get my luggage tags printed. The question guy lets me know that I'm very lucky, or Providentially blessed, to have had her walk out at that moment. She's a very nice lady. And I owe the first guy a big tip. lol. Basically I should have had to pay $200 and didn't pay a thing.

But the story continues. I get to my gate with my small roller bag and backpack and the flight is so full they're asking people to check their carry-ons. So I checked the roller bag as well, for Free! Is my God good or what.

On the down side my phone decided to break this same day. I went to turn it on in DC (yes they sent me through DC on my way to CA). However, it refused to "boot up." It'd turn on but wouldn't actually work. Arriving in San Diego, picking up my car, and getting to where I'm staying where all a little bit a walk by faith.

I went to T-mobile today and they said there's nothing they can do. So now I am the proud owner of a new phone.

1 comment:

Timmery said...

What a crazy story--God IS good! I'm glad you're here, complete with all your luggage and the $200 still in your pocket. :)